Those of you that don’t want to purchase the Dock for your Motorola Atrix 4G but still want to use webtop, these are the instructions. This method is to enable webtop on the Motorola Atrix 4G after the Gingerbread update via HDMI.
Some webtop functionality like the clock widget, music, and gallery will be disabled for this to work. Also keep in mind that you must have a rooted Atrix for this mod to work. If your Atrix is not rooted then go to “how-to-root-the-atrix-4g-after-gingerbread-update“ to root your Atrix and come back to this article after.
What will this mod do to my phone?
This webtop mod will replace the original DockService and PortalApp APK’s. There are 3 different files below so that you can install this webtop hack on version 4.5.91 OTA, HKTW, and ORFR 4.5.2A. Anyone with development experience can enable the other features that were mentioned above with the DockService-dev.apk that is included with the DockService.apk and PortalApp.apk below.
Instructions to Install the Webtop Hack on your Atrix 4G:
(If you are deodexed, ignore any errors related to odex)
- Download and unzip the modified apk’s to C:\webtop (Download Link)
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB
- Open a command prompt in Windows (Start -> Run -> Type “cmd”)
- For Atrix on AT&T 4.5.91 OTA, type “cd c:\webtop\ATT”
- For Atrix on HKTW, type, “cd c:\webtop\HKTW”
- For Atrix on ORFR, type, “cd c:\webtop\ORFR”
- Type “adb shell” press ENTER
- Type “su” press ENTER
- If your phone asks for Superuser rights tap allow
- Type “mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system” press ENTER
- Type “mv /system/app/DockService.apk /system/app/DockService.apk.bak” press ENTER
- Type “mv /system/app/PortalApp.apk /system/app/PortalApp.apk.bak” press ENTER
- Type “mv /system/app/DockService.odex /system/app/DockService.odex.bak” press ENTER
- Type “mv /system/app/PortalApp.odex /system/app/PortalApp.odex.bak” press ENTER
- Type “rm /data/dalvik-cache/*DockService* /data/dalvik-cache/*PortalApp*” press ENTER
- Type “cd /system/app” press ENTER
- Type “cp /sdcard/DockService.apk ./” press ENTER
- Type “cp /sdcard/PortalApp.apk ./” press ENTER
- Type “chown 0:0 ./DockService.apk” press ENTER
- Type “chown 0:0 ./PortalApp.apk” press ENTER
- Type “chmod 644 ./DockService.apk” press ENTER
- Type “chmod 644 ./PortalApp.apk” press ENTER
- Type “reboot” press ENTER
Congrats you now have webtop enabled on your Motorola Atrix without having a Docking station. Just plug your phone into your screen via HDMI and have fun. If you have any questions please let us know.