How to Install Custom ROM’s on Android
Thursday, May 19th, 2011
Reasons to Install a Custom ROM
While there are many reasons you would want a custom ROM the most important is the fact that the Android OS offers so many features that are turned off by either your Carrier or Device manufacturer.
Other Reasons include:
- Significantly better performance in most cases
- Custom Boot Options
- Themes Support in most cases
- Full control of your phone
Please keep in mind before installing custom ROM’s that rooting your phone may void your warranty and installing custom ROM’s will obliterate it. There are many options for flashing most phones back to stock in the event you need to take it in for a fix or any other reason you may have.
Installation of Custom ROM procedure:
YOUR PHONE MUST BE ROOTED (if your phone is not rooted please search Android Advice for how to root your phone and follow those steps beforehand.
- Create a backup of your phone – Use an app like Titanium Backup for this then download the ROM Manager app from the market
- Open ROM manager and click “Flash ClockworkMod Recovery” before anything else this lets you create a backup of your current ROM before continuing
- When ready to download a custom ROM click “Download ROM” in the ROM manager App. There are many ROM’s available but the best we have found at this point is CyanagenMod.
- Once you are done your phone will reboot into a fresh installation of the new ROM
After the new ROM is installed you will see new options in your settings, backgrounds, themes, We can’t stress enough to make a backup before installing a new ROM.
As always this article is for your education and we in no way are responsible for your actions.