After updating your Motorola Atrix 4G you will lose root access. Some of you may not care because you only had it rooted for sideloading. For the others if you want to root your Motorola Atrix 4G after updating to Gingerbread this is how you do it.
Keep in mind that when typing in the commands during the rooting process you will leave out the quotes.
Instructions to root Atrix 4G running Gingerbread:
- Download and Extract Fastboot Files to your C: drive (Download Link)
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB
- Put your phone in fastboot mode (restart phone holding volume down button)
- Open a command prompt and navigate to C:/moto-fastboot-win32
- type “moto-fastboot.exe flash preinstall preinstall.img” press enter
- type “moto-fastboot.exe reboot” press enter
- Your phone should reboot, wait for it to come back up
- type “adb shell” press enter (to restart the shell)
- type “/preinstall/dosu” press enter
- If step 10 fails type “/reinstall/su” instead and hit enter
- type “/bin/mount -o remount,rw /system” press enter
- type “cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/” press enter
- type “chmod 6755 /system/bin/su” press enter
- type “PATH=/system/bin:$PATH pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk” press enter
- Reboot your phone
- Congrats you now have a rooted Atrix running Gingerbread.
Those of you that use this root method for your Atrix running Gingerbread please let us know any issues you run into. We dont foresee any issues, nor have we heard of any at this point although we would like to hear your experiences.