We all know that Motorola and AT&T will be unlocking the bootloader for the Atrix 4G next month with its Gingerbread update. This being said XDA has gotten hold of the code for the update and striped out what is needed to unlock the Atrix 4G Bootloader and made it available for all of us Atrix owners to unlock them a bit earlier.
It has only been two days since we heard about the July release of Gingerbread for the Motorola Atrix and already the Bootloader unlocking part of the new update has been found and used now. These instructions work for not only the Atrix running on Gingerbread but with it running on Froyo as well.
Instruction to Unlock the Atrix 4G Bootloader:
- If you’re already running Gingerbread, skip to step 12.
- Power off your Motorola Atrix
- Remove your microSD card and SIM card for the flashing process
- When turning the phone on, hold the Volume Up button until it acknowledges RSD
- Your device will say “Starting RSD protocol support”
- Run “RSD Lite” on your computer (Download RSD Lite 5.3.1)
- Download and unzip the SBF File (Download Unlock SBF file (REMOVED))
- Press the “. . .” button next to the box labeled “Filename” and Load the SBF file
- Plug your device into your computer (if you have USB on the back of your computer use it for safety)
- RSD Lite should recognize your device and say “Model: NS Flash Olympus” and “Connected…”
- Press the “Start” button (Be patient while the phone reboots. It will take a while).
- Open and extract the Fastboot package (Download Fastboot package)
- Open a command prompt window (Press Start and type “cmd” then press ENTER)
- Navigate to the fastboot folder (example: cd c:/fastboot)
- Turn off your Atrix
- Hold the power button and the volume down button until you see “Fastboot”
- Let go of the buttons and press the volume up button once
- You will now see “Starting Fastboot protocol support”
- Type the following command: “fastboot oem unlock” (without quotes of course)
- You will now receive a warning along with a unique device ID
- Type the following commands using your unique device ID in place of the ####: “fastboot oem unlock ####” Press ENTER then “fastboot reboot” (again no quotes)
- Wait for your device to reboot.
- Congratulations! Your Atrix 4G now has an unlocked bootloader!