Sprint announced today that the LG Optimus has started receiving the OTA (over the air) Android 2.3 Gingerbread update today. This maintenance release will be released in waves so if you haven’t seen it yet you will shortly. Some users have reported that they aren’t getting the OTA update notification but when manually checking through settings it finds it.
LG Optimus S™ from Sprint will receive the Android 2.3, Gingerbread, update through an over-the-air maintenance release beginning today, September 14, 2011.
Beginning today, Sprint will send update notifications to users in waves. The notification will let users know the update is available and provide the simple two-step, over-the-air download instructions.
- Users will receive a notification that Android 2.3 is available for download.
- Once the user has downloaded the update, they will be prompted to install the update. The user will be notified that their device will be disabled during the installation process. The phone will be ready to use once the process completes.
The LG Optimus S Gingerbread update includes:
- New on-screen keyboard. The standard keyboard has been greatly improved with faster input and more intuitive typing. The cut-and-paste feature has also been improved.
- Streamlined user interface. New color schemes and various UI changes make Android more consistent and simpler to use.
- Application and power management. Android 2.3 provides better insight into what is running in the background and the amount of memory and CPU time it is using. A task killer has been added.
- Download management. All downloads from the browser, email and other apps can now be viewed and controlled from a single location.
- General enhancements for performance improvements.
The software release upgrades LG Optimus S to Android 2.3, Gingerbread. This version of Android improves download management through the Downloads application, offering the user easy access to any file downloaded from the browser, email or another application.
VIA: Sprint Community