Been waiting to get Ice Cream Sandwich on your HP TouchPad? Your wait is over CyanogenMod has release CyanogenMod 9 Alpha 0 for the HP TouchPad. Before you install the custom ROM on your HP TouchPad keep in mind that there are parts of the ROM that are not yet working.
CM9 Alpha 0 Features Not Working:
- Hardware video (OMX) – this means no Netflix and only non-HD videos work in YouTube
- Audio isn’t working right; microphone doesn’t work well
- Camera doesn’t work
- Market filters prevent certain apps from being installed
- Titanium Backup crashes the kernel
- Most of the hardware problems from CM7 still exists in CM9
- Gapps intended for CM7/Gingerbread will not work in CM9/ICS
CyanogenMod has not only released the ROM to install Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich on the TouchPad but also released the source to allow developers to help with improvements.
UPDATE: Due to hardware limitations and just the lack of community interest over time the HP Touchpad never got a stable release of Cyanogenmod. In fact it never made it out of Nightly builds and even then there were only about four or five version of nightlies released for the device. We have heard of a few others continuing Android ports to the TouchPad but none seem to make it past the initial “demo type” version. What this means is that if you have one of these tablets theres a good chance you will never have a useable version of Android on it. Since they were selling for $99 I would still have to say thats not too bad for a tablet like the TouchPad.
If you have a TouchPad and know of any great Android Port or any alternative available please let us know as i’m sure there are many people out there that would like to blow the dust off their devices and have a use for it.