Flashing ClockworkMod Recovery to the Samsung Captivate is an easy process although not as easy as just installing ROM Manager and flashing it. You will need a few extra steps so that you can actually flash custom ROM’s to the still popular Galaxy S Android device. If you follow the directions below you should have no issues and be able to run CyanogenMod 7, Serendipity or any other custom ROM with ease.
Your Captivate must be rooted in order to flash ClockworkMod Recovery to the Samsung Captivate: Root Samsung Captivate with SuperOneClick
Install ClockworkMod Recovery on the Samsung Captivate:
- Download and Extract “Heimdall Suite 1.1.1” (Download Link)
- Power off your Samsung Captivate
- Connect the Captivate to your PC via USB
- Boot the Captivate into Download Mode via “vol up + vol down + power” while plugging in USB
- Run “zadig.exe” in the drivers folder of Heimdall
- From the Menu select “Options -> List All Devices”
- Then select “Samsung USB Composite Device” or “Gadget Serial”
- Click “Install Driver” (if popup ignore and install anyway)
- Now Launch the Heimdall application
- Download and extract “Hardcore’s SpeedMod Kernel” (Download Link)
- Select the zImage in the Kernel(zimage) section
- Turn your Captivate off and unplug it from the USB (leaving the USB in PC)
- Boot into download mode again via “vol up + vol down + power” while plugging in USB
- Heimdall should still be open on your PC click “Start”
- You should now see a blue bar showing the Kernel being transfered
- Your Captivate will restart automatically when complete
- Congrats your Samsung Captivate has ClockworkMod Recovery Installed.
You can now install custom ROM’s on your Captivate easily through ClockworkMod Recovery. We as always aren’t responsible for the use of these instructions so use at your own risk.