Rooting your Nook Color will give you full control over the device and its features, much like jail breaking an iPhone. Essentially, it lifts the limitations put on the Nook Color by Barnes & Noble allowing it to operate like any other Android tablet. A Nook Color which has been rooted can run apps and programs that are otherwise incompatible with its system on the stock ROM. The process while looking long is very easy if you follow all directions exactly.
Instructions to Root the Nook Color on Software Version 1.4.1 & 1.4.2:
- Make sure you have registered your Nook or Risk losing association with B&N
- Download all B&N content to be sure its not lost after Root
- Create a bootable ClockworkMod 22.214.171.124 microSD Card (Instructions Here)
- Download “Manual Nooter 5.02.19.zip” (Download Link)
- Copy the “Manual Nooter” zip file to the root of your micro SD card
- Unplug and turn off your Nook Color if connected to PC or on
- Insert the SD card with required files into the Nook Color
- Turn on the Nook Color and it should boot directly into recovery
- Select “Install zip from SD card” (volume down and n to select)
- Select “choose zip from SD card (volume down and n to select)
- Find the Manual Nooter zip file and select it (volume buttons and n to select)
- Confirm on the next screen navigating and selecting the same way
- Wait for the process to complete and remove your micro SD card
- Reboot the Nook Color (if you get an error on first boot just reboot again)
- Congrats your Nook Color is Rooted!
As always we aren’t responsible if you harm your Nook Tablet although if you follow the directions to the letter you will have no issues that we can see. If you do run into any issues feel free to leave us a comment below.