If you have to have the latest and greatest Android OS and own an HTC One X you can install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your HTC One X. There are some great features that have been added with Android 4.1 on the One X like the improved notification bar, offline voice recognition, updated Google search and performance improvements due to Google’s new “Project Butter”. Its all around a smoother Android experience.
The Android 4.1 Jelly Bean port comes from the new Android SDK (software development kit) and was ported by XDA member tgascoigne for the HTC One X. Keep in mind that the Android SDK version of Jelly Bean is very unstable and should not be installed on your every day phone. There are a few features that are not working in the port to the One X which are as follows: Wifi, audio, and camera.
NOTE: Backup all of your apps as the process will completely wipe your phones data out.
How to Install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on the HTC One X:
- Unlock the HTC One X Bootloader (Instructions Here)
- Install ClockworkMod Recovery (Instructions here)
- Install HTC Sync drivers on your Computer (Download Link)
- Download the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM (Download Link)
- Copy the zipped ROM to your One X SD Card
- Download and extract Flash_Boot.zip to your Computer (Download Link)
- Open the file downloaded in step 4 and copy “boot.img” to your Flash_Boot folder
- Power off your HTC One X
- Hold Power + Volume Down to get into Bootloader
- Use volume buttons to select “fastboot” and power to select it
- Connect your One X to your computer via USB
- Go to your Flash_Boot folder and run “flash-boot-youros” to flash Kernel
- After complete select bootloader via the phones power button
- Navigate to recovery and select it to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery
- Select “data/factory reset”, then select yes to confirm
- Select “mounts and storage”, then select “format system” and confirm
- After complete go back to the main recovery menu
- Select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”
- Select the jelybean_endeavoru_tgascoigne.zip file, and select yes to confirm
- Wait for the process to complete and select “reboot system now”
- Congrats your HTC One X will boot into Android 4.1 Jelly Bean!
While this isn’t a fully functional stable ROM since its coming from an SDK port it is fun to play around with. It will still work as a phone with some cool features and give you the ability to show off Google’s newest Android OS early. Let us know what you think in the comments below.