Another point to Sprint for now supporting rooted Android devices. Sprint sent out a new policy for their customer support for handling Rooted Android devices that can still allow warranty service to be active even when rooted. Most carriers will tell you that your rooted device is not supported anymore and that your warranty is gone but now Sprint has taken action to be different and improve their customer support.
The new policy states that the representative should make sure that the user is aware of the risks involved in rooting their devices such as irreparable damages, inoperablity of the device and data customization loss that can be incurred. This being said they will still open a ticket documenting the issues and try to resolve the issues. In some cases if the issue cannot be fixed they are now authorized to actually exchange the device.
Sprints Policy Handling Rooted Devices(ASC):
- Educate the user on the risks involved in rooting their device
- rooting can cause irreparable damage to the device
- rooting can result in an inoperable device
- rooting may result in all customer data and customizations being lost
- Open an eTicket and document the specific issues with the device. Also note that the device is suspected of being rooted.
- Attempt to resolve the issue by reloading the device software
- If the issue cannot be resolved, exchange the device per standard Advanced Exchange procedures. NOTE: Refer to AE Transactions M&P for more information.
While Sprint may or may not replace the device if damage is caused by rooting it they are making an attempt to help even those that root and mod. Sprint has proven to be loyal to its customers and has proven to be a favorite carrier for Android devices. This could cause an increase in the molding community supporting Sprint devices along with building a better relationship between Sprint and their customers.